Skinner, Inc., one of our favorite auction houses for the depth and breadth of their sales, yet again earned its reputation for being a savvy player in the fine art market. Its Jan. 29 American & European Paintings & Prints auction featured a number of important works and more than its share of curiosities.
Chief among these was the fantastic ‘rediscovered’ painting by American masterpiece artist Georgia O’Keeffe. Titled “,” the painting was considered lost since the mid-1950s. It was last known to have been purchased by a Cape Cod
collector. The piece is representative of O’Keeffe’s early work,
describing “nature in her simplest appearance” and is indicative of
O’Keeffe’s artistic relationship with modernist painter Arthur Dove.
The full auction listing can be seen here at SkinnerInc.com.
Take note that, once again, it’s the hardworking, aggressive auction houses like Skinner that are discovering and selling these dazzling pieces.
-Posted by Eric Bradley
• Find us on Facebook HERE.
• Visit the Antique Trader Web site HERE. Sign up for our FREE newsletters!
• If you really like what you see, get your very own subscription to Antique Trader HERE.
• Reference books available about your favorite collectibles HERE
• Antique Trader message boards HERE.
• Browse the Antique Trader Classifieds or place your FREE online ads HERE.
• Enter the Antique Trader Treasure Hunt Sweepstakes HERE.