Participants will have the opportunity to see at least two significant lighting collections. One is in storage at the Natural History Museum; the other is in a 1760s house owned by the Daughters of the American Revolution. The Natural History Museum is located in one of the best examples of an Art Deco train station in the United States.
The club’s motto is “To shed light on the lights of the past.” The Rushlight Club, founded in 1932 for the study and preservation of lighting, is one of the oldest organizations dedicated to a single aspect of material culture. The collecting and researching interests of members range from the earliest primitive lighting devices through lighting by gas and electricity.
The purpose of the club, as set forth by its founders, and which remains unchanged today, is to stimulate an interest in the study of early lighting including the use of early lighting devices and lighting fuels, and the origins and development of each, by means of written articles, lectures, exhibitions from private collections and if desired, through the medium of exchange, and its object shall be to collect, preserve and disseminate information and data obtained through these studies.
Written articles on research of the history, development and application of lighting, lighting fuels and accessories are published in the club’s quarterly historical journal, The Rushlight.
Information on lighting lectures, conferences, exhibitions from private collections and regular meetings is published in the club’s quarterly newsletter, Flickerings.
For more information on The Rushlight Club or the spring 2009 meeting, visit www.rushlight.org.