NEW YORK – 1stdibs (www.1stdibs.com), an online global marketplace for rare and desirable objects, announces its purchase of Online Galleries, the prestigious U.K.-owned online services provider to the arts and antiques trade.
This important acquisition is the latest step in 1stdibs’ strategic plan to grow its global online marketplace and become the destination of choice for collectors, buyers and designers who seek the most beautiful things on Earth. By adding more than 200 leading U.K. dealer members of Online Galleries, 1stdibs has now more than tripled its European dealer community.
1stdibs will feature more than 1,700 dealers in seven countries and offer international buyers a range of categories, including antique furniture and design, jewelry and watches, fine homes, vintage fashion and fine art. Everything offered by 1stdibs is sold by dealers who have undergone a comprehensive application process that includes store visits and references from their peers, buyers, designers and architects.
“With our shared commitment to quality, we feel that Online Galleries’ member dealers will be the perfect complement to ours,” said Michael Bruno, founder of 1stdibs. “At the same time, we are making it easier for discerning buyers to find the treasures they seek by providing a single destination for over 1,700 of the world’s best dealers. We are also thrilled to welcome Carmine Bruno and his team to the 1stdibs family. We now have locally based talent to serve the combined member dealers.”
Since it was founded 11 years ago by Bruno, 1stdibs has become a global marketplace that is a recognized and trusted source for collectors, interior designers and buyers around the world.
Each week an average of 2,500 objects are cataloged and added to the 1stdibs website, attracting more than 1 million unique visitors per month.
In 2011, 1stdibs dealers reported more than $500 million in sales.
More Related Posts from Antique Trader:
MORE RESOURCES FOR ANTIQUE COLLECTORS and DEALERS
• Special discount prices on great books, digital downloads, price guides & reference books for every hobby
• Warman’s Antiques & Collectibles 2013 Price Guide —>
• Meet and share with other antiques collectors, dealers and auctioneers on Antique Trader’s Facebook page
• Get special discounts and breaking news alerts on Antique Trader’s Twitter feed!
• Browse (or place your own) FREE online classified ads
• Sign up for your FREE AntiqueTrader.com email newsletters
• For more trade news, auction reports, research and expert columnists, get 26 issues of Antique Trader magazine for just $26!