VIRDAN, Ill. – More than two semi trailer loads of country store collectibles and antiques will sell during a live, on-site-only auction Oct. 28-29 in Virdan, Ill., at the Mansion 55 Expo. H.A.S. Auction of Virdan, Ill., is officiating the sale, which will begin at 2 p.m. Oct. 28; and 10 a.m. Oct. 29. There will be no live Internet bidding; however, left bids are accepted with approved credit.
Collections up for sale include 50 spool cabinets, 25 dye cabinets, 15 syrup dispensers, 25 rare sewing machines, 20 wagons and pedal cars, more than 50 coin op machines including Mutoscope and slot machines. The sale is also offering jukeboxes, arcade machines, gum ball machines, several salesman’s samples and music boxes.
More than 100 advertising signs include names such as Mountain Dew, DeLaval, Dockash, Pioneer, Sealtest, Coca-Cola, Gulf Motor Fuel, Columbia, Harley-Davidson, Singer, Caterpillar, Evinrude, Firestone, McCormick, MobilGas, Red Man and many more.
Of special note is a John Deere trade sign that was commissioned in 1853-1856 for the John Deere Company by Charles Deere, the son of John Deere and the President of Deere & Company. This life size Elk is made of copper and zinc. It is in its original surface with old paint and real Elk horns only 20 of these Elk ever commissioned for the Deere & Company by the W.H. Mullins Company in Salem, Ohio.
The barber shop collectible category includes barber poles, barber chairs (including children’s chairs with figural heads), a barber back bar and cash registers.
Auctioneer Bill Houchens of Houchens Auction Service plans on selling more than 400 lots Friday night, with the remainder selling on Saturday; the Saturday portion of the antique auction will include more than 750 lots in 12 hours.
– Bidders go batty for butter crocks at auction; 500+ sold in one day
– Reverse painted on glass sign shatters advertising sign records
– Vintage tin Richlube Motor Oil advertising sign soars to $7,425
– Milk delivery is long gone, but vintage milk bottle collectors keep its memory alive
– Wheat or Chaff? Part I: How to identify, date and price antique and vintage farm collectibles without getting fleeced
MORE RESOURCES FOR ANTIQUE COLLECTORS and DEALERS
• Special discount prices on great books, digital downloads, price guides & reference books for every hobby
• Warman’s Antiques & Collectibles 2012 Price Guide
• Meet and share with other antiques collectors, dealers and auctioneers on Antique Trader’s Facebook page
• Get special discounts and breaking news alerts on Antique Trader’s Twitter feed!
• Browse (or place your own) FREE online classified ads
• Sign up for your FREE AntiqueTrader.com email newsletters
• For more trade news, auction reports, research and expert columnists, get 26 issues of Antique Trader magazine for the special online price of just $26!