ASHEVILLE, N.C. — Asheville-based Brunk Auctions will hold its next sale March 23, consisting of approximately 800 lots from private collections and other institutions. A compilation of works by many of the first generation Charleston Renaissance artists, drawn from three collections, headlines the sale, featuring Alice Ravenel Huger Smith, Anna Heyward Taylor, Elizabeth O’Neill Verner, Alfred Heber Hutty and William Aiken Walker.
Other notable art from the sale includes a James Rosati sculpture, “Ostrich and Orange Man” by Alexander Calder, a William Posey Silva triptych titled “The Garden of Dreams,” an Antonio Jacobson painting of the steamship “Herman Winter” and a portrait of Lord Byron by Thomas Sully.
The sale will also include European and Southern fine art and a collection of fine portrait miniatures.
Brunk Auctions will also offer the opportunity to purchase quality decorative arts. Three striking pieces in particular should catch the eye of a range of collectors.
The first is a very fine American Federal paint-decorated walnut pie safe with finely punched tins in original pale yellow/green paint decoration attributed to 19th century Southwestern Virginia.
The second is a fine American Classical carved mahogany dolphin figural sofa, originally retailed in Charleston, S.C., that Andrew Brunk has attributed to the workshop of Deming and Bulkley, New York.
The third highlight in the decorative arts category is an important Daniel Huger Horry/ Lucas family Chinese Chippendale mahogany open-arm chair attributed to Charleston, S.C. This 1765-1775 piece has mahogany throughout with a later cypress plank seat, rich reddish-brown color with traces of early surface.
Other hot lots include a sizable collection of jewelry, Russian silver, Arts & Crafts ephemera, Modern art and furniture and an eclectic range of other art and antiques.
For more information on this and other Brunk auctions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org, 828-254-6846 or visit www.brunkauctions.com.
More Related Posts from Antique Trader:
MORE RESOURCES FOR ANTIQUE DEALERS and COLLECTORS
• Special discount prices on great books, digital downloads, price guides & reference books for every hobby
• Warman’s Antiques & Collectibles 2014 Price Guide —>
• Meet and share with other antiques collectors, dealers and auctioneers on Antique Trader’s Facebook page
• Get special discounts and breaking news alerts on Antique Trader’s Twitter feed!
• Browse (or place your own) FREE online classified ads
• Sign up for your FREE AntiqueTrader.com email newsletters
• For more trade news, auction reports, research and expert columnists, get 26 issues of Antique Trader magazine for just $26!