STILLWATER, Minn. – Within days of the closing of Mill Antiques in August, a group of the mall’s dealers had banded together to lease the building and keep the business afloat. Now named Staples’ Mill Antiques, it reopened Sept. 15, 2008.
Marianne Kelly, the Mill’s owner, closed the mall at 410 N. Main St. on Aug. 30 after running it for the last 19 years. The new operators, Dick Moris and Bob Miller, were among a group of 25 sellers who had previously rented space in the Mill.
Staples’ Mill Antiques is open seven days a week, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. A grand-opening celebration was scheduled for Oct. 13–15.
This is the second Stillwater antiques business to bear the name of Isaac Staples (1799-1895), a powerful lumber baron in the St. Croix River Valley during the logging boom of the mid-19th century. Aside from his massive holdings in timber, Staples was also the region’s most successful farmer and an important banker.
In addition to running the new enterprise, Moris and dealer Larry Jacoway host the Upper Midwest Depression Glass Show twice a year at the Bloomington, Minn., Armory. The next show is Oct. 27–28. Call Moris at 651-770-1567 for more information.