SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO — Turner Auctions + Appraisals will present a collection of Napoleonic items June 19, amassed by the late George Eustis Paine, a noted 20th-century industrialist from New York and Rhode Island. The collection of more than 165 items was consigned to auction by Paine’s step-granddaughter.
The sale features a Napoleonic library, including Napoleon’s personal map, autographed material and books belonging to and about Napoleon; several bronze sculptures of the leader; portrait miniatures; snuff boxes; and other items of the era.
The online auction will be featured live on LiveAuctioneers and Invaluable, and will be accessible through ‘Upcoming Auctions’ at www.turnerauctionsonline.com/upcomingauctions; it begins at 11:30 am PDT.
Among the lots expected to generate interest among bidders include:
• Berthier, Alexandre. “Relation de la Bataille de Marengo,” 1806. Large gilt Napoleonic Imperial Arms to upper and lower covers. Frontispiece, five folding maps and plans and one large folding chart. Uncommon in this grand quarto edition ($1,000-$2,000).
• French gilt bronze and marble figure of Napoleon, early 20th century, indistinctly signed on the marble ‘A Farral’ (?) ($700-$900).
• Mudford, William. “An Historical Account of the Campaign,” 1817, comprising the Battles of Ligny, Quatre Bras and Waterloo ($1,000-$2,000).
• Ireland, Cruikshank, “The Life of Napoleon Bonaparte,” 1828, four volumes; four engraved title pages and 27 folding plates engraved by Cruikshank after various artists ($1,000-$1,500).
• Books from Napoleon’s Library at St. Helena. LaCroix. Memoirs, circa 1819 ($1,500-$2,500).
• Patent of nobility document signed by Napoleon with wax seal, circa 1811, framed ($1,000-$2,000).
• Napoleonic coquilla nut Man-of-War form snuff box, 19th century, fitted with two lidded compartments and inscribed ‘BRETAGNE’ ($400-$600).
• Miniature painting of Napoleon and three officers, early 20th century, leather case stamped ‘CARTIER’ ($200-300).
For more information, visit www.turnerauctionsonline.com, or contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 888-498-4450.