NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Currently on view at The Tennessee State Museum in Nashville is a special exhibit featuring the work of the late folk artist Howard Finster.
The exhibition, “Stranger in Paradise: The Works of Reverend Howard Finster,” is free and on exhibit in the museum’s Changing Galleries.
Finster was one of America’s most widely known and prolific self-taught artists, creating more than 46,000 pieces of art before his death in 2001.
From 1976 on, he focused on producing sermon-laden artworks with subjects ranging from historical characters and popular culture icons like Elvis Presley to evangelistic fantasy landscapes and futuristic cities. The exhibit includes “Elvis Presley as an Angel” and “Elvis,” both created with tractor enamel on wood.
Finster’s preaching experience and showman-like personality helped shape his public persona and ever-increasing celebrity. To spread his vision beyond the Esquire-dubbed “Paradise Garden,” Finster’s roadside tribute to inventors, originally named “Plant Farm Museum,” Finster began to design record album covers for rock groups such as R.E.M. and Talking Heads. Interviews, films, along with his legendary appearance on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson further advanced his career.
A 152-page hardcover, full color catalog with essays by Jim Arient, N.J. Girardot, Phyllis Kind, and exhibition curator Glen C. Davies, will be sold along with other folk art items in the “Paradise Garden” Gift Shop. After viewing the exhibition, visitors will have the opportunity shop in the special store which will only be open during the run of the exhibit.
The free exhibit runs through Jan. 15, 2012. For more information on the exhibit, contact Mary Skinner at 615-253-0103.
The gospel according to Rev. Howard Finster
How we define American folk art
Folk art portrait’s $1.2M bid breaks auction record
19th century folk art lion brings $1,622
18th century Shenandoah Valley of Virginia birth certificates bring $103,500
10 Things You Didn’t Know about Memory Jugs
MORE RESOURCES FOR ANTIQUE COLLECTORS and DEALERS
• Special discount prices on great books, digital downloads, price guides & reference books for every hobby
• Warman’s Antiques & Collectibles 2012 Price Guide
• Meet and share with other antiques collectors, dealers and auctioneers on Antique Trader’s Facebook page
• Get special discounts and breaking news alerts on Antique Trader’s Twitter feed!
• Browse (or place your own) FREE online classified ads
• Sign up for your FREE AntiqueTrader.com email newsletters
• For more trade news, auction reports, research and expert columnists, get 26 issues of Antique Trader magazine for the special online price of just $26!