Get 26 issues of Antique Trader delivered
>>For just a $1 an issue!
LOYSVILLE, Pa. – One of Pennsylvania’s Civil War-era orphan schools will be sold Sept. 22, 2012. The Andersonburg Soldiers Orphan School and its contents was one of Pennsylvania’s system of orphan schools motivated by the Civil War and operated from 1865 to 1879. The 3,800 square foot brick 2.5 story 6 bedroom home was built in approximately 1861 and sits on 5.38 acres with a small barn in Perry County.
The property was most recently owned by the Davis Family of Pittsburgh who used the house as a summer home replete with golf course. The Davis family has hired Cordier Auctions to sell the estate of Nancy L. and Jean H. Davis, fondly known by local residents as “The Sisters.” The Davis family reportedly attended local auctions for decades, decorating the home with their finds of furniture, accessories and collectibles.
“This is one of the largest and most varied estates we have handled this summer,” David Cordier said. “We plan on having two auctioneers selling throughout the day.”
A star lot of the auction will be a tattered flag for the orphanage which was found on the premises and is now mounted on a silk backing. The entire house is loaded from attic to basement with antiques. Some of the notable items include period furnishings; decorated stoneware; transferware and white ironstone; silver; books and ephemera; toys; vintage clothes and textiles; and much more.
The property is located at 5906 Shermans Valley Road. Personal property will begin at 10 a.m. Sept. 22 with the real estate at noon. For more information on the auction, please visit Cordier Auctions.
More Related Posts from Antique Trader:
You may be interested in these Civil War artifact and memorabilia collecting resources