This article was originally published in Antique Trader
>>Get 26 issues for just $26!
NEW YORK – Collectors were ready and willing to buy on Saturday, Nov. 19, 2011 during Heritage Auctions’ $1.84 million Lalique and art glass auction, led by a superb Tiffany Studios Daffodil table lamp that brought $56,763. All prices include 19.5 percent buyer’s premium.
“This beautiful lamp was received by the consignor as a wedding present in 1917,” said Nick Dawes, vice president of special collections at Heritage. “It’s certainly weathered the decades very well and the price realized is a testament to the enduring allure of fine Tiffany pieces.”
The $1.84 million auction consisted of 641 bidders vying for 567 total lots, translating into a sell-through rate of 91 percent by total value.
“There was tremendous and well-founded excitement around this auction,” said Dawes. “The quality ran very deep and the big names were represented by some spectacular results.”
A Tiffany Studios Art Nouveau Favrile glass vase, internally decorated with multi-colored pattern of trailing vines, circa 1900 was one of the principal highlights of the day, bringing $50,788.
Another important lot in the top tier of the auction was a René Lalique Clear Glass Tourbillons Vase with black enamel detail, circa 1926, which brought $41,825, while a Tiffany Studios Glass Mosaic and Bronze Jardiniere with water lily pattern in bronze and green glass, circa 1900, realized $44,813.
One of the more interesting Lalique pieces in the auction was actually uncovered by Dawes at an appraisal fair in New Jersey: a René Lalique Green Glass Sauterelles Vase, circa 1912, which realized $31,070. Another Lalique surprise was a Black Glass Coq Box and Cover, circa 1910, which brought $17,925, almost nine times its pre-auction estimate of $2,000+.
Further highlights include, but are certainly not limited to:
- A Marc Lalique Glass double pedestal Cactus Table with a unique custom designed glass top by Erté: Realized: $53,775.
- René Lalique Topaz Glass Le Jour et La Nuit Day and Night Clock, circa 1927: Realized: $38,838.
- Artistic Daum Glass Orchide Vase, circa 1900: Pink cameo overlay vase naturalistically modeled as a languid orchid. Realized: $34,655.
- Tiffany Studios Favrile Glass Vase with original Tiffany & Co. Silver Mounts, circa 1900: Favrile glass vase with trailing blue iridescent dots, reticulated silver footed base and rim in chrysanthemum motif. Realized: $31,070.
- René Lalique Cased Red Glass Meduse Vase, circa 1930: Realized: $28,680.
For more details, visit Heritage.
More Related Posts from Antique Trader:
More Resources For Collectors & Sellers