By Antoinette Rahn
In light of the devastation brought on by Hurricane Harvey, I’m struggling to find the right words. Perhaps because there is so much I want to say and yet nothing that seems right. I think that’s why acting on opportunities to help is more useful, for me than words, right now.
Transforming Little Into Big
The other thought that has come to mind quite a bit this week, is how much even the smallest thing matters. In the day-to-day there is a tremendous amount of little things, but I know I don’t always seem them for the importance they represent. This is one of those times when every little bit does count, and from what I can see, they count in big ways when combined with all the other ‘little bits”. We are seeing it across the country as individuals and groups of people rally to support the people of Houston and the surrounding region. #HoustonStrong, in my eyes, is a very accurate description of the people of Houston, as well as a calling to help Houston regain its strength, rebuild, and begin anew.
Opportunities to Assist
The good thing is there is a multitude of ways to lend support to Houstonians and neighbors impacted by Harvey. Below are some of the organizations frequently mentioned in the media as accepting financial support for relief efforts:
- Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund – Set up through The Greater Houston Community Foundation. The Foundation works with various nonprofits in the Houston area.
- Direct Relief – Reports indicate donations are helping fund creation and distribution of emergency health kits for distribution at health centers within the state of Texas.
- American Red Cross
- Food banks throughout the state: Houston Food Bank, Southeast Texas Food Bank, Central Texas Food Bank.
- Animal shelters: The SPCA of Texas and Austin Pets Alive! – Both are in need of financial donations and offers by people open to adopting pets.
- United Way of Greater Houston
- GlobalGiving – Crowdfunding organization is seeking to raise $5 million (after
surpassing its initial goal of $2 million) to provide food, water, and medicine to the hurricane survivors, as well as assistance to people they begin to rebuild.
- J.J. Watt Foundation – Seeking financial donations and emergency supplies including blankets, non-perishable food, and the like. The foundation, which was established by the NFL’s Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt, has raised nearly $18 million (as of 2 p.m. Eastern Sept..3) for relief efforts now and as the community of Houston and the state of Texas begins rebuilding, according to a report by CNN.
A more extensive list of charities coordinating relief efforts can be seen in this article by NPR: Hurricane Harvey Relief.
All of us with Antique Trader continue to extend our thoughts, hope, and support to all affected by Hurricane Harvey, and emergency personnel on the scene.
~Team Antique Trader